Fanthorp Inn State Historic Site in Anderson, Texas (Grimes County)

About the State Park

Fanthorp Inn | Photo credit: Terry Loendorf

Fanthorp Inn State Historic Site is a 6-acre park that exists to preserve a historic hotel that is on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1834, the clapboard-covered log structure served as a hotel and store, as well as the region’s first post office.

Notably, the Vice President of the Republic of Texas in 1845 (Kenneth Lewis Anderson) died from illness while staying at the Inn enroute to Washington-on-the-Brazos.

Location

The park is located in Anderson, off State Highway 90, 10 miles east of Navasota and State Highway 6, which connects Bryan/College Station and Houston.

Hours

The park is available for public tours on Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Reservations are required for group tours.

Fees

There is no entrance fee for the park.

Events

Check the Wild Texas Events Calendar for activities scheduled at the park.

Anderson, Texas Weather


Anderson, Texas, weather forecast

Photo Gallery

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Official Contact Information

The State Historic Site is managed by the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department.

Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Fanthorp Inn State Historic Site
579 S. Main St.
Anderson, TX 77830
Telephone: (936)873-2633